ZBrushCentral

Johnny Cash nine inch nails era

Here’s a start on a Johnny Cash likeness, i’m useing the nine inch nails hurt cover video for reference. One of my favorite tracks of all time.

cash.jpg

Very nice surface detailing :+1:

brettSinclair.

Thanks for the encouragement Brett, how’s the hobo coming along, i love the Rockwell style of that guy.

Thanks Man. Haven’t had much time for him again :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a little update. defined the forms a bit more.
Brett, i know what you mean about time, seems to vanish before you can blink.

Jhonny-Cash-02.jpg

Some more view angles?
Great sculpture so far :+1: :+1: :+1:

michalis

Here’s the side profile, still got lots of tweeking to do, thanks for looking in.

johnny-cash-side.jpg

Wow! Nice details…Its coming up great! Some more detailing on lips will the justify the face more evenly! But thats upto you too! :slight_smile:

hey this is looking great so far. It may be easier for people to give you feedback if you had a screen shot without the skin (pore) detail. It distracts from the underlying shapes which imo are the important shapes to get right. Anyway as i said it’s looking good so far i just don’t know what’s going on with his lips on his left side, is that how he looked like in real life? Also the skin underneath the eyelid may be a little too flat. I’m talking about the underlying structure not the detail you put on top of it. And last but not least the vain detail on his neck looks like it still needs a little love.
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out :smiley:

great work so far, I can really see the likeness in the front view, I look forward to seeing more progress

bhaskarrac

Thanks, i will certainly refine the lip detail on my second pass, thanks for the heads up

Nils Meyer.

Thanks for the feedback, The strange lip curl is correct, the result of botched surgery to remove a large cyst when he was in the airforce.

Capital_G

Glad you like my progress and can see the likeness, i need to go back and rework the skin detail but unfortunately i forgot to use a seporate layer so it’s going to be a little more work than i first intended. doh.

Really well done. Was there any particular reference photo of Cash you refered to more than others? A lot of what I see of him on the internet are relatively younger photos.

Im

Thanks, i’m useing reference from one of his music videos. check out youtube for
the track ‘Hurt’, a cover he did of the ‘nine inch nails’ classic. I too had problems finding good ref of an old Johnny Cash.

Its looking great. I noticed in the vid though that his left jaw seems wider. Something in the video made him look very uncomfortable in that area. Like it was numb or something. haha.

Thanks Brett, i’m walking the line with this one, lol. I don’t think anatomy books were written with Johnny in mind, everything about his face is just wrong, or at least that is my instinct when i try to sculpt his mug.
Asymmetry to the max, which is actually harder to do than it thought, your noggin tells you one thing but the reference never lies.

Haha nice pun. Definitly, Just keep going. It looks like him. He just needs that little nudge here and there. Problem is you keep at it to long and it feels like your rings on fire :cool: haha I had to…

Lol brett :lol: heres a little update, mainly work on the neck area and oh so many tweeks, includeing your suggestion but i still haven’t got it yet. doh.

Johnny-3.jpg

Looks pretty good! I don’t have any relevant image on hands for comparison, but it is a sweet looking sculpt nonetheless.

keep us posted with updates :smiley:

Cash’s looking great! Love the work on the skin!:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

Beneto

Thanks i’m useing the hurt video for ref.

Glad you like my rendition of the master, the skin was just temp, ive updated the above post with that layer turned off. Trying to get the feel of skin over bone and a few anatomy corrections.