Default Old Man Head

Hi all!! Been pretty busy the last couple months but i managed to squeeze out another piece.

This is the first time I started the model in zbrush, so i learned the retopology tools.

Sculpted and polypainted in zbrush, rendered in XSI

Hope you all like it!

Old Man Head_v03.jpg

Pass Renders:

Diffuse- Diffuse.jpg
    Incidence- Incidence.jpg
    Specular- Spec n Relfect.jpg
    Ambient- Ambient Occlusion.jpg
    Shadow- Shadow.jpg
    Depth- Depth.jpg

And heres just a string of my zbrushing process:

Base.jpgBase 2.jpgRetopo 1.jpgRetopo 2.jpgRetopo 3.jpgRetopoed 1.jpgSculpting 1.jpgSculpting 2.jpgSculpting 3.jpgSculpting 4.jpgSculpt 1.jpgSculpt 2.jpgSculpt 3.jpgPolypaint 1.jpgPolypaint 2.jpgPolypaint 3.jpgPolypaint 5.jpgPolypaint 6.jpgPolypaint.jpg

Lemme know what you think!!

Thanks!!

-Chris
    Last edited by Vargas0001; 07-12-10 at 02:04 PM.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Aw man....some of the images didnt upload....should be fixed now.

Dont worry! I can see all the relevant images though......Look nice and well detailed......though the final render where the head is cropped, makes ur character gazing sharply at the viewer. I m finding it too close to the camera.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

the proportions are off, but I kinda like it that way. he's quite cute when he's smirking
    Lead Character Artist
    Firaxis Games
    -artstation

It's pretty good, I like it a lot! What a realistic render, too.

You've got some serious painting skills. Would be nice to know how you go about painting in the different parts.

Default Hmmm..

I have come in and had to take a look at this 3 times now there is something about this that capture my attention. You have got my respect friend I find this to be a true piece of Art.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the kind comments! I really appreciate it.

Converse - Thanks for the 5 thumbs up. I'm glad you like it so much.

Bhaskarrac - Thanks for the compliment. If I do another version, I'll move the character back a bit and see how that feels.

Framedworld - It would be a lot more helpful and constructive if you could be more specific about what proportions you think need work, rather than just saying they are "off". I feel there is a very wide range of possible proportions of the human face and this one falls neatly in that range.

GX@W - Heres a little bit of a tutorial on how i did the paint job. It comes from this book http://www.amazon.com/ZBrush-Charact.../dp/047024996X although, like it says, these techniques have been used for decades on latex prosthetics and general make-up effects for live action as well.

Start by painting a flat beige-ish skin tone covering the model completely. If you want you can use two slightly different tones with the color spray and a mix of alphas 23, 07 and 08.

polypaint tutorial 1.jpg

Next comes the temperature zones of the face. Youre going to paint very bright, almost pure shades of red, blueish purple, and a pale yellow on different parts of the face. Again you want want the same "spatter" brush form above. Start with red, and give it a light, splotchy coating all over, concentrating it on the fleshier parts of the model, usually the cheeks, throat, lips and a bit on the tip of the nose.

The bluish tones are for the pits and recesses of your model. The eye sockets, nostrils, the furrows of any major creases, between the bottom lip and chin, inside the ears.

The pale yellow is for the areas of skin that are closest to bone, such as the clavicle bones, the brows, skull and depending on the body fat of your character, the cheekbones and the very edge of the jawline.

polypaint tutorial 2.jpg
    polypaint tutorial 3.jpg

It looks a bit over saturated by the time youre done, but this is the effect you want. The next step, called the mottling or squiggle pass, will tone everything down a bit while preserving the level of color variation youll need.

Switch your color to pure white and lower your rgb intensity. You can either lower your brush radius to a near pin point and squiggle your own "figure eights" by hand all over your model, or you can switch your stroke to a draw rectangle and find a good veiny looking alpha. I suggest a combination of both, using the alpha method for large non-focus areas like the back of the head, and doing the features by hand.

polypaint tutorial 4.jpg
    polypaint tutorial 5.jpg

Now you can switch back to your spray brush and very lightly begin washing in more flesh tones, adding lighter, pinkish colors to the meat, and browner tones for the pits, but again, very faint, you want a lot of your squiggle painting and temperature zones to show through from under these washes.
    polypaint tutorial 7.jpg
    polypaint tutorial 6.jpg

Now comes the final step. This next process relies heavily on the fine surface sculpting details of your model. All of the pores, wrinkles and other nooks and crannies you've laid in will be used in a cavity mask to separate the peaks from the valleys.

polypaint tutorial 8.jpgpolypaint tutorial 9.jpg

Unmaksed (colorize turned off for visual clarity)
    polypaint tutorial 10.jpg

Cavity Mask
    polypaint tutorial 11.jpg

Cavity Mask Inverted
    polypaint tutorial 12.jpg

Using these masks, continue to wash in ( maybe even more subtle than before ) the lighter colors while the regular mask is on ( the recesses are masked so you will be brightening the high points ) and then the darker colors when the mask is inverted ( as the high points are now masked and you will be darkening the pits ).

This is a lot more exaggerated just to show what Im talking about.polypaint tutorial 13.jpg

Thats pretty much it. Remember that this tutorial is just for getting the basic tones and color variations of skin. There's plenty more details to add on top of that, freckles, moles, tiny veins and such.

I hope this helps you get started.

Thanks again everybody! :-D
    Last edited by Vargas0001; 07-13-10 at 07:30 AM.

I was supposed to say wicked yesterday, but my internet didnt work, so here I am again.

WICKED

BTW, thanks for explaining the painting part. Always nice to have more technices to use.
    "It's never too late to learn a new skill" - Lex Luthor

DeviantArt Gallery
    Gallery at 500px
    My music at Soundcloud

Thank for the mini tutorial. Appreciate the time and effort.