Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Nice stuff and nice that you are back!!

Thanks Knacki. Sculptris keeps calling my name. Kind of hard to resist after a while...lol. Just kind of hard when there's so much else to do. But, I got a few minutes to do another quick sketch. Didn't even get the time to add in any details around the eyes, or even the eyes themselves. Similar to one just previously, but I really didn't like that one.

Didn't realize that it had been this long since I had added a post in my own little thread. Took a few seconds to even find it...lol.

Just downloaded the new Blender to try out that SSS, but for some reason it really didn't work out for me just yet. I'll find some tutorials before I try again. Here's the basic head that I threw together to test it out.

On buildbot, there are new fresh blender builds. Try one today.
    New SSS now, it also supports bumps. (three modes, compatible (the old one) cubic (the right one fall off) and gaussian (under construction but lot of potential)
    You have to plug a RGB node into Radius socket to control it better (warm tones please) LOL
    http://builder.blender.org/download/

Default Hey....

Spork, Knacki, Michalis .... How you guys doin ? ...
    Not much but Noobs chatter here anymore. Haven't done much with Sculptris lately myself. Not much modeling of any kind really. Maybe it's time for another challenge ? Any ideas ......

@michalis I think I just got the latest build. Once I get a new sculpt, I'm sure I'll have some better questions in how to use these nodes properly. If you have some images of the node set ups using the texture and bumps from out of Sculptris to combine the SSS node, I'd certainly like to see them. I think that's where I'm caught at right now. I can get the SSS in with some of the mix nodes, but I just haven't spent the time to get it in the right spot to make it look right. Or if you know a good tutorial. Haven't had the time to go searching for a good one yet.

@justadeletedguy We all had to start somewhere. Though I think a good challenge would bring a few more out and talking again. I'm always up for one anyway. As far as ideas, hmmm. Could go with a number of things. I'd say to keep it as simple as possible for now, or add multiple levels (beginner to advanced) to the challenge. Doesn't even need a deadline. Just a place for people to add some photos and get some good feedback on a subject that everyone is focused on. I think I'd enjoy doing some stylized celebrities...lol.

Unfortunately, without the likelyhood of anything new happening with the program, I doubt that this area of ZBC will ever be what it used to be when the Doc was still developing it (at least that's what we were told. I wonder if anyone asked about Sculptris during Siggraph this year?). Until there's something new to be excited about, this will only be the section where those who are new to Sculptris come. I'm sure I'll continue using Sculptris, but only because I'm far too busy. Even if I were to buy ZBrush (or anything similar), I'd never have to time right now to use it. So I'll stick with this free, and still amazing, sculpting tool for my rare breaks.

I've noticed a marked increase in the sharpness and detail of your sculpts from 2010 until now. Is this solely the result of so much practice, or is it also because, as computers get better and faster, you can push more polygons, allowing Sculptris to do more?

@teruchan I could say that in some ways, it's both. But mostly, it really is just a whole lot of practice. I'd like to hope that over a few years of using it, I got better in at least a few areas as I was completely new to digital sculpting like many others. Been trying to learn more about where things really should go anatomically. Using new sculpts to learn new ways to use the Paint area for additional details in the bump maps. And then there's the practice in just using the tools more effectively over time.

There was a period there that the laptop I was using would only let me take a sculpt to just over 30k tris with no AA. I really learned how low I can put the detail slider and still achieve as much detail as I had using multiple times the amount previously. While the laptop that I'm using now can easily take a sculpt to over 2M tris, I've found that I rarely go over 1/10th of that in creating a full figure and way less for just a head. Now, even with all of the additional horsepower, the sculpts that I've done could have easily been handled by my previous machine (before the 30k limit). It's more about how much time you want to put into a sculpt rather than how powerful a machine you add Sculptris to.

The vampire elves are back.

Still detailing all of the areas, so no where near done. 14 objects so far, and I'll probably still need at least an additional 6 or more. The hair is just a really bad placeholder until I take it into Blender. Should be fun though.

Bit late for a Sculptris break, so that's why I didn't get to add too much. Added a bit to the pants and some basic shapes for the boots and vest. Not sure what kind of shells I'll do for the shoulders, but I'll figure it out when I get there.

Need to get back to work again, but here's a quick update on the shells plus a few small details added.

Another small break to add in some of the additional items before I take it out of symmetry. Then again, there might be a few other things before I do that. Not going to make it too detailed, just having some fun with him. Not even going to try and count how many objects there are now...lol.

And one more edit with a few additions. Not sure if I'll leave it as is and just paint him, or go back in and actually finish up some of the areas a bit better.

Got bored and didn't really want to finish doing the sculpting on that last one. But, I still wanted to see what it would look like colored in. Tried to make it similar to a toy on a desk or something. Instead of spending the time to do the hair in Cycles, I just took it into PS for that.

Also, my need to know kicked in and I counted the number of objects...lol. I think there's 97 in this one.

Great Bebop.Your Cycles skills makes me jealous.

Thanks Serek. And I don't think I'm doing anything special with Cycles. Actually, I'm using the same basic setup that I did when I started. Haven't really looked into seeing if I'm doing it right or if there are some better ways to do it. I usually set up 3 large emission planes (plus one regular plane for the ground) and the rest for the sculpt is just a Mix Node combined with Diffuse and Glossy. Some small differences in the settings between the different imported obj's. If you want I can do a screenshot sometime and you can mess around with additional settings to see what works best for your sculpts.

Uhu! the trick's on the planes! I never managed to get give such a warm result with spots & suns.

It'd be very nice if you share your basic Cycles lay-out Or I could give you one of my turtles, as well.