Used this last sculpt for the example since there were a few materials that were pretty similar. Here's a rough idea of what I do in my Cycles setup. I usually get 3 planes around the main sculpt. One somewhere in front, one slightly off to the side, and a third from a bit behind to get some of that rim lighting (depending on where you have the camera).

Once you get one of the planes in there and angled decently (easier to make it fairly large as well), go into the Surface area that you would usually add in your textures. Change the node to Emission and then start changing the value (which just increases the strength of the light) to about what you're needing. While I just kept white lights in this one, here's the value of the selected plane from the previous image.

While this sculpt was meant to be more plastic looking that real skin, my settings are fairly similar when I have tried to make it look like like real skin. It's a mix node that started out with a diffuse node with the image texture from out of Sculptris. Second is the glossy node. Not sure what it stands for, but I then go into "Fac". Changing that value seems to let you decide which of the nodes within the mix node is more prominent. A lower number enhances the first node, and a higher the second. As I wanted my coloring from the image texture to be a bit more noticeable than the slight gloss, I have my number down to .040. Then I will go into the glossy node and adjust the Roughness value. That one seems to be kind of a specular adjustment where lower numbers will increase the definition of that reflected light and a higher number tends to blur it a bit. I've found that somewhere around .3 seems to work fairly well. Just one to play around with until you think it looks ok for your specific material.

These next ones are to show that I still do something similar to each of the other materials. For the metal in this render, I kept the Fac a bit higher at .102, and the Roughness of the Glossy considerably lower at .090.

For the teeth.

And for the Vest.

Kind of a quick rundown of what I usually do. But, it really does go pretty fast inside Blender to set it up. Just let me know if it wasn't too clear or if I forgot to explain a part.

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

It was perfectly clear, thanks again for the help.

@Serek. Anytime. Glad it helped a bit.

Another break and thought I'd stick with the turtles theme. Started a head tonight. I'll try and get some time to do more with it tomorrow like the rest of the mask coming from around the back and some other asymmetrical details before I take it to paint.

Bit busy, but I wanted to color him in and see how it would look.

Just some quick sketches for the night. Got bored with the first head, and was doing some surfing. No idea how I got there, but I found an interesting creature generator. Not sure about anyone else, but I used to use some of the text based ones years ago to get the creative juices flowing when I just wasn't sure what to make. This one is a visual creature generator. Could use a number of additional creature parts, but I kind of like that it isn't too detailed. Allows a lot of room for interpretation. After hitting the button multiple times, that's where the second alien deer came from...lol. But, if anyone else is interested (or is even still coming here to see my mental ramblings turned visual), here's the generator:

http://monstersbyemail.com/randomcreature/RandomCreatureGenerator.html

Bit too late to start on a sculpt, but I'd like to spend a bit more time with this one.

Ive been working on a new similar dino but yours looks more fantasy. I like where its going so far. That giant bone attached to his head reminds me of a triceratops but being a fantasy character you could really embellish some wild looking horns or plating on it. Also he seems tribal to me somehow, like he needs warpaint, or symbols painted on it.

Tried working on that one last night and for some reason I just wasn't liking anything that I was doing to it. Just threw it away. I'll have to try something similar again soon though.

Wowww ...
    dear Spork, I've missed all excellent stuffs that you've posted here.

Really love 99.99% of them

the last one is a masterpiece, please make a body for him
    Out beyond the ideas of right-doing or wrong-doing there is a field,... I'll meet you there.
    Jelaluddin Rumi

Sorry for the late response. Got a bit busy for a moment there.

Thanks Cap. I threw that last one away already. I did want to do another sculpt similar to that one so I could get to the body eventually...lol.

Figured that since I had the time for a few beers tonight that I also had some time for some Sculptris. Started with some quick heads, and then I wanted to do something with a full body. Haven't gotten too far yet, but I thought I'd try for a Shaolin Monk kind of guy. Still fairly early. Less than 45k tris, but that's also before the hands which add a crapload.

Since I don't really have anywhere else to add these from the other night, and the original sketches were going to be so that I could have something to go off of to create some more cartoony things in Sculptris (we see how far that got...lol), I thought I'd add these ones here as well. No idea why I started the first one in B&W, but that became the basis for how the other characters were made.

Quote Originally Posted by SporkFuMaster View Post
    ... I did want to do another sculpt similar to that one so I could get to the body eventually...lol.
    waiting ...

really love the last sculpts,
    the boy and the Feather Nose creature are great !
    Out beyond the ideas of right-doing or wrong-doing there is a field,... I'll meet you there.
    Jelaluddin Rumi

Very cool sculpts.
    Love the dinosaur and the toons, and and and.

Cheers,

Knacki

Thanks guys.

So what would be a good Challenge? We still need a new one in here. Since there aren't that many people coming in this section of ZBC anymore, it can be one without a deadline...lol.

And couldn't sleep tonight, so I figured I'd do some more sketches. Got bored with the first two, so that's why no eyes. Also added in the basic shapes for the legs in that monk guy. Didn't get too far, but one of these days I'll try and finish it.

Member Follow User Gallery

Some of the characters look like they can be dropped right into the TV Show Grimm:

http://www.nbc.com/grimm/

@CarterTG Thanks. Been wanting to watch that show. Forgot all about it for a while now, bit it seems like something I would enjoy...lol. Going to have to check Netflix one of these days.

Since there seems to be far too little interest left in the Sculptris community, it doesn't seem like a Halloween challenge is all that likely. But, doesn't mean that I can't still enjoy the spirit and do a few for the season...lol.

Though strange, the full reasons are unclear as to why this animal has been kept classified since it's initial discovery. It has been said that it could be used as an unconventional biological weapon if gathered and released in an enclosed area.

(Exerpt from US, Dept of Homeland Security, Abnormal Biological Entities Div, ABE Handbook, pg. 142)

Georgia Gremlin: Initial subject was found after reinforcements were sent in to a training op of Army Rangers in the Black Rock Mountain State Park area just across the border of Georgia and Tennessee in 1982 (see full report in addendum B-25.3). Averaging 14-18 inches in height, this is a highly aggressive and intelligent creature. While almost as advanced, the skin of the Georgia Gremlin has a similar makeup and ability as the squid to aid in active camouflage. Full population numbers and mating habits are unknown. It is believed that the gathering of multiple groups, in an otherwise autonomous animal, towards the end of October has something to do with the mating habits. New tracking data shows that this creature can be found from the Gulf of Mexico to Northern Pennsylvania.