Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default Sculptris vs Zbrush Pixelation

I saw some of the sculptris work and unlike Zbrush, where you have to double the document size and then resize it back to half just to get rib of the pixelation on the image edges or post work.
    Sculptris doesn't suffer from pixelated edges for what I can see / understand.

There is no pixelation problem in Zbrush. You just need to learn the difference between ZOOM and SCALE options plus some rendering options in ZB and you will be just fine.

Zooming works like classic 2D zoom and is making things look pixelated while scaling is scaling object without any pixel problem. Many, many excellent works were done just on Zbrush render so trust me - if you have a problem it is your fault

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Sorry, Off-Topic

You wouldnt happen to be the creator of LazyNezumi would you?

Nope - since "nezumi" means "rat" or "mouse" it is quite popular.

I really like LazyNezumi idea though Is it still developed or just left to die?

Sculptris has a lazy mouse function (as a matter of interest).

Quote Originally Posted by nezumi
    There is no pixelation problem in Zbrush. You just need to learn the difference between ZOOM and SCALE options plus some rendering options in ZB and you will be just fine.
    I think he was pointing out that Sculptris supports hardware AA, or that Zbrush renders faceted polygons. though i could be completely wrong.

Or I wasn't clear or no one really understood what I was talking

What I was referring was the pixelated edges, let me show you with one of my WIP:

testpaint52.jpg

I was wondering if Sculptris would suffer from the same problem.
    Currently in Zbrush, you need to double the document size and then once you've done with the art, you reduce the document half size to get rib of the pixelated edges.

Quote Originally Posted by F i L
    I think he was pointing out that Sculptris supports hardware AA, or that Zbrush renders faceted polygons. though i could be completely wrong.
    Yes, you are right.
    Last edited by cgicore; 07-26-10 at 08:09 AM.

Odd pixelation. That isn't because you zoomed in?

Nice to see here cgicore!

Hi Nichod,

Nice to see you too. Hope sculptris won't suffer from this pixelation issue.

Something really smooth or sharp edges would be good.

cgicore - I haven't used the Sculptris Alpha yet but I'm pretty sure I know what you're referring to. Respectfully, ZBrush's anti-aliasing algorothm isn't the best.

If you save an image from ZBrush at screen res (not zoomed in on canvas) with anti-aliasing turned off you will get "jaggies" on your object contours (same with any 3d app without anti-aliasing active). Activating ZBrush's anti-aliasing feature will help but it the best of results.

To get around this people render at double resolution and then scale down to their target resolution afterwards.

From the sound of it, Sculptris has a better ant-aliasing routine or some other method of smoothing the appearance of object edges. So you can get smoother object edges without needing to output a double size image.

Is that what you were referring to?
    No one ever expected a pencil to draw for them.

www.podagraph.com

podaart.blogspot.com

I have done hard and organic edges in sculptris 1.01 and have not come across any problems with the edges of my models looking like the ones I saw in your pic, I don't know how many pixels your work is at but you can try loading an obj file into sculptris. Last i checked sculptris could hand about 2.5 mil "triangles" before crashing on my computer. I say triangle because sculptris does not use square pixels it uses triangle and when i was loading some of my sculptris models into zbrush the count for the triangle was about half the pixel count in zbrush, though it was different in mudbox and blender.

From what I can tell sculptris runs off of your GPU, and I'm assuming uses hardware based openGL AA, ZB runs straight off your CPU, and uses it's own AA scheme.

Member Follow User Gallery

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that anti aliasing "problems" in ZBrush are a result of the pixol metaphor. ZBrush treats pixels a bit like voxels in that they store a z coordinate along with some other stuff on top of the trational xyrgb stuff that we're used to. On some level, anti aliasing works by sort of mixing background and foreground colors in edge pixels to suggest smoother shapes. Since a pixol can only have one z value, anti aliasing just doesn't work.
    If you ask me, it's a small price to pay for the ability to comfortably push 20 million polygons on my sorry excuse for a computer : )
    Last edited by huan80; 07-29-10 at 08:06 AM.
    If my goal was photorealism, I'd be a photographer.

You are correct. The "scheme" for ZB acts more like a blur filter. I have never had any luck with it. I am looking forward to the new render options though!

I do a lot of 3D into 2D composites and from the image, I'd say it is the pixel resolution and not pixol at all.

Try render the same model in 1024 and another 4096 then compare the two. What you see zooming in or out does not affect the original image, it is the monitor that emulate the picture, at some zoom level your image may not look desirable especially non 2x2 ratio.

Zbrush can go 8192 which is larger than what we normally would need in print production, I agree that anti aliasing, lighting and rendering in Zbrush is no good.