Member Follow User Gallery

I'm still pretty new to the forum, but I thought I would share a WIP of a model I've been working on. I do not know how to do the whole download thing but I at least have a .jpeg. :P

here's how far i got before it ragequit on me and deleted all my data

so many triangles...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 23.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	245.6 KB 
ID:	442026  

Don't forget your Reduce brush! Its super handy.

New Member Follow User Gallery

Default Basic Shapes and Learning Resourse Needed for the new guy?

Hi all. What a great site! I am new to 3d modeling all together.

Sculptris seems pretty intuitive but it would be great to have learning documentation with real examples to follow. Any suggestions? Any book recommendations for beginner to the craft would also be appreciated.

Also, if there were some basic shape models such as squares, triangles, rectangles, cylinders, etc. (we have the sphere of course) to choose from as a starting point for building shapes that could eliminate some prep work. ( comes from my drawing experience) If these exist please let me know where I might find them! If not maybe the developers would consider adding them as standard models with the software.

Thanks..... and thanks to all for sharing your models. very inspiring and fun to see and play with for a beginner to learn!

I used youtube to learn the bulk of the stuff. Sculptris has a very organic work flow so it is great for animals and people and the like, so it is difficult to make more non organic models with it. For me personally, I use Blender (its free and open sourced, but its a lot more technical) to rough out my basic shapes and export it as an object to finish in Sculptris.
    Here is where I started learning Sculptris on youtube, a lot of the videos are pretty short and easy to follow. Once you have the basics down its easy to work with. It takes some practice, as all art does. Once you work with it a while you will see how the basic shapes work into everything. Using Sculptris has improved my illustrating as well as my understanding of lighting and shadows. I wish you some happy crafting and feel free to ask as many questions as you want! This is a pretty great community here and I know you will be able to find the answers you are searching for!

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...orial+beginner (Video tutorials, a whole bunch of them)

*EDIT*
    On a side note, if you decide to download Blender, it is a great way to work with the more technical side of the 3D modeling world. It takes a few resources to run, but it is a great program and it is easy to switch back and forth between Blender and Sculptris. If you do get it, let me know and I will show you the guys on youtube who taught me how to use it, they are great and easy to follow and always reply to questions posted to the videos.

Thanks ArtBySeereBelith! I'll dive into these right away.

I am having one problem loading OBJ files that maybe you've seen. I get the following error:
    Cannot import faces with more than 4 corners. I get it on most objs. Any ideas? Tech support said they don't assist on beta problems like these????

Oh, I have blender but I just updated my OS (on a MAC) and even after reloading blender it no longer works. But send me the links you mentioned. I'm sure to get it figured out.

Thanks again!

That error means you have polygons on the object that have more sides than squares. The best way to fix this is do some retopology on the mesh to ensure no polygon on your object has more than four sides (each polygon has to be a triangle or a square to be loaded into Sculptris.) If you are importing from Blender to Sculptris, you can use Blender's mesh cleaning up tools to help fix this problem. It takes a little work but its worth it. I had to do that with my most intricate model. If the model has more than one part (i.e. a head with separate polygons for hair and eyes) Import the bits one at a time. As long as your origin is set to your geometry there should be no issue.

I work with Windows so I am not 100% on how to fix Blender with a Mac, but if you go to BlenderSensei on youtube I'm confident he will be able to help, he's helped me a lot in the past. Here's a link to his youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCID...G3MMBpxFtEj1Pg
    BlenderCookie is also very knowledgeable with Blender and should be able to help as well. Here's his youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9V...pQ7tdF-TG4Q0yQ

If you need me to elaborate on anything further let me know! I'm pretty good at troubleshooting :P

Default Blender Problem on Mac fixed

It turns out that when upgrading my Mac to the latest version OS (Yellowstone) and reinstalling backup data, the OS created a new user for the data files (separate from the OS launch user) but installed software globally. However it does not give the new user access permission to Blender. I was able to launch blender in the OS launch user. I finally transfer all my data from the new user to the launch user and everything works fine.

Thanks for your help!

Glad to hear it!

Default Stylized Female head

Hello everyone, I just created this quick speed sculpt of a stylized female head in less than 20 minutes in Sculptris. I quickly created this to show my development manager at Digital-Tutors that Sculptris is in fact easy to use and still can get good results even though it is somewhat limited. I will be creating a Sculptris to Blender conceptual sculpting workflow training for them.

I'll need to post the sculptris file in the next post, its too big with the image.
    Jeannot Landry

Default The sculptris file!

Here is the sculptris file zipped.
    StylizedFemaleHeadSpeedSculpt.zip
    Jeannot Landry

Default consider yourself lucky

You're a bit lucky blender works for you, I have to use Sculptris for all ( not a bad thing!), because blenders viewport for me and many others, is snail pace. I wish that weren't true,but if you have any ideas I'm all ears. I asked few days ago on blenderartists forum, so far zero help.

Maya, Modo all of them on the other hand, work with my 475k tri mesh with literal ease, so there clearly is something wrong with blenders viewport coding, and as I recall I think someone/they are working on it, eventually, but no matter if you have any ideas please speak up.
    I do editing in blender so having this work is mandatory or i'll need to switch apps. I did ask on forums ,so far no answers.

But ya Sculptris is very sweet to me in that regard, without it I don;t know what I would have done quite literally.

Cheers

cajunctionAI:

Well, I can easily bring a 1 million tri inside blender viewport and it doesn't lag much. Perhaps your video card needs upgrade. Also, try to reduce your triangle count on flatter areas that don't require much triangles. Use sculpt for big to medium details and bump for tiny details.
    I will be creating a complete workflow tutorial for Digital-Tutors on this subject. I'll announce it here once it is released. Hopefully that will help out a few fellow Sculptris/Blender users.
    Jeannot Landry

Thanks for the blender<>sculptris tutorial coming, very nice of you.

ONe last thing, you may be able to work with a 1 mil mesh,but I'd almost best the farm on the fact, your rig is far faster than mine, so that doesn't help me much, or other like me with rigs of lesser abilities.

LIke I say, its a weird day, when my mesh works fine in the apps I mentioned but not blender, and Im eager to see them update the viewport code, because its too old.

But ya in the meantime if I can get this going with your help, so much the better, and thanks again for doing it

Cheers
    cajai

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast