Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default My Sculpting Improvement Thread

Hello Zbrushers,
    for quite some time i try to sculpt some realistic looking heads.... and fail. After some hours of scultping i end up with something like this. At this point im kind of stuck. Even if i study Reference and Anatomy pictures and spent much more hours/days into it,in my opinion the model looks different but not better. I think there a still some essential errors in the anatomy especially in the eye region. It would be real great if someone can point me in the right direction, i really want to learn. Thx in advance.

HeadDoodlePersp.jpg
    HeadDoodleFront.jpg
    HeadDoodleSide.jpg
    My sculpting improvement thread
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=91352

I would suggest finding some photo ref of a well known actor you like. Then draw grid lines over it in PS. marking key features like the distance of eyes, noes to eyes, mouth and so on. sculpt from that and every so often do a screenshot in ZB and over lay it in PS. That way you can click your image on and on off (on and layer) in PS and it will be very obvious whats off.

Best of luck!

The best way to learn is to break things down into smaller chunks. Make little studies of different facial features, the nose, an ear etc.
    Learn what's beneath the skin. Where the cartlidge plates of the nose intersect with bone, what shape the plates are, where the soft tissue is and how the skin wraps, drapes over these features.
    Little chunks at a time is the best advice i can give.
    Work from the ground up. Starting with the skull and it's correct proportions, get the skull shape wrong and everything else will be wrong.
    It'll take some study and patience but in the end it's a very rewarding experience to find out how we are constructed.
    Hope that helps a bit.

Hello,

thank you for the suggestions and the time u spent writing back. I will try hard to realize those and get someday the knowledge of form and human body like u do. A few weeks back i started trying to make a sculpt of a movie actor. I tried to match the key landmarks with some photo reference but i got hard problems when its not exactly the front or side image. On perspective images the modell always was more or less off, because i couldnt match it proper. I guess it has something to do with the focal length and the persp on/out but i dont know. This is what i got so far. It was meant to be Klaus Kinski but turned out more like Herman Munster .

@sasquatchpoacher
    Lurked ure thread for a long time now and also saw ure Roller Bunny in the 3dcreative.Your modells are truly amazing and i especially adore the Jug band sculpt. Can u tell me how u modelled the fur on the ape biker? It looks great and i am wondering how to achieve this look.

kkRef1.jpg
    kkWip.jpg

This is starting to look good. I would suggest that you consentrate on small pieces like handlebar suggested. Especially the ear, it might look like the hardest, but it's quite fun to model when you get the hang of it.

Anatomy study and learning about propotions will help alot too, and ofcourse looking at reference material, it's always good to "steal ideas" ^_^
    "It's never too late to learn a new skill" - Lex Luthor

DeviantArt Gallery
    Gallery at 500px
    My music at Soundcloud

Here is a bust i currently do for the Rydanworkshop beta class. Its still wip but i wonder if anybody is able to recognize this dude.
    Test.jpg