ZBrushCentral

Sketchbook-Pro4210

Time to start my own sketchbook …
I’m an illustrator but bought zbrush 3.5 in januari. The latest update has been nothing less than spectacular. So much to learn …
I’ll be posting more later.

Playing around with shadowbox, deformations, move elastic.
First real hardsurface modeling I’ve done, still needs a few tweaks:

This was my first attempt at using spotlight and painting photomaterial onto a sculpt. Great fun, real fast.

One of my first alien heads:

![Stilleto Class Starfighter01.jpg|806x595](upload://pSSWOrBej324CCvvuGV7St1xH5H.jpeg)![xavier.jpg|560x770](upload://h4mpH6CsiLp9Wnz5uWsut18TN27.jpeg)![Plagueis01.jpg|794x595](upload://pWaE0inXqAtkwiUsRNYGgiiPnji.jpeg)

Good stuff, loving the alien:+1:

Thank you :).

Playing with fur. It’s pretty difficult but I found if i make several fiber materials with each their own length i get a better effect than using a single fiber material, little hard to place properly. The one on the left has two different fiber lengths. Comments, advice appreciated, especially in relation to making the fur look better.
Still very much a work in progress:

though.![picachu WIP.jpg|926x677](upload://sWneCsX9S4HIN7xFJObutGwj5Wo.jpeg)

While i’m working on some new material here’s some old 2D stuff in which i used Zbrush objects.

![A Fine Day's Fishing A2.jpg|842x595](upload://nXQqgxEJ0x0BbyGhvAYrzFDhJ39.jpeg)![Spaceship fleet2.jpg|595x820](upload://og5TCt5OgUxCehhSDThQQz8XI8I.jpeg)![Gremlins in the Engine03e.jpg|725x595](upload://e1tsqiTaIxOc0WQ6wbXOMn0pT5l.jpeg)![Cover sketch finish no bckgrd flat.jpg|604x595](upload://8aV4AgFDxRSAytfiWhX0D97QhLm.jpeg)

Made this today.

Turret close up:

One last image for today …

![starcruiser01topview.jpg|960x720](upload://t8nv2gG7cU9wkd2sOeB9xtkzJ4r.jpeg)![starcruiser front view.jpg|794x440](upload://dMjK75ZgL8QxigAB5rmoZre6tRy.jpeg)![starcruiser bottom view.jpg|794x595](upload://4FlAARF6JqgVu1oq6yaPICCEkGI.jpeg)![starcruiser laser turret.jpg|798x595](upload://rUFnJFM38Kn9NPj7DAH1Bpc4fnY.jpeg)![starcruiser asteroid field.jpg|907x440](upload://viOubENgrjlmg9DY2glxjn7UQMI.jpeg)

“Did you ever hear the legend of Darth Plagueis the wise?”

![Darth Plagueis01.jpg|794x595](upload://bL8GYIM6Lnr6HU7dIrrBuGSD23i.jpeg)

awesome hard-surface sculpting. I dig those spaceship(?) models. :+1:

Thank you :).

love those purple ships!

Little update:

Think i might move this one to its own thread as I plan to make it a full model or a bust …Darth Plagueis02.jpg

Darth…is lookin…Cool :slight_smile: :+1:

love those purple ships!

Darth…is lookin…Cool :slight_smile: :+1:

So much fun.

Cool stuff you got going here :+1: ! Love the wrinkles/Polypaint/detailing on the alien, cool 2d experiments too :+1: ! Keep ‘em comin’ :slight_smile: .

Cool stuff you got going here :+1: ! Love the wrinkles/Polypaint/detailing on the alien, cool 2d experiments too :+1: ! Keep ‘em comin’

Thanks Etcher, much appreciated. :slight_smile:

Here’s another old model I’m fixing up to be presentable. Still needs some work.
I also have a small question. How does one do eyelashes … ?

![old woman.jpg|431x709](upload://pzLmZQ8hmVVuTHnn9WrP1kxKMao.jpeg)![old woman01.jpg|449x709](upload://sZe2LFmASI3Vb1SL0DGTAwoTLq8.jpeg)

A way to do eyelashes is take the ring 3d tool and initialize it to be 180 coverage, low resolution. Then make a polymesh3d out of it. Then you can mask, show and hide until you have the curvature of a set of eyelashes. Delete hidden and you’re left with an easy and fast mesh you can then colorize black.

That’s a fast way, but won’t look like lashes closeup. If you want a more detailed way, you may want to look at this old tutorial here http://www.southerngfx.co.uk/general/tutorials/15-ztooleyelash/ztooleyelash.htm which is still relevant and has good info.

The alien sketches are especially good. (The montage). I like all of the others, also.

Good work!

:+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:

A way to do eyelashes is take the ring 3d tool and initialize it to be 180 coverage, low resolution. Then make a polymesh3d out of it. Then you can mask, show and hide until you have the curvature of a set of eyelashes. Delete hidden and you’re left with an easy and fast mesh you can then colorize black.

That’s a fast way, but won’t look like lashes closeup. If you want a more detailed way, you may want to look at this old tutorial here http://www.southerngfx.co.uk/genera…tooleyelash.htm which is still relevant and has good info.

Hmm, at first glance it seems a lot of work for a detail that only shows up at closeup. I was hoping for partly-transparent textures or such. Thanks for the response.

The alien sketches are especially good. (The montage). I like all of the others, also.

Good work!

Thank you :slight_smile:

Can someone give me some tips on retopology …?
I tend to get stuck at this point, too many vertex points and edges floating around and I haven’t even started with the denser mesh around the eyes and such. Can I hide parts of it? Can I make it so it igores the backside? How do you retopo hollowed out or complex models?
Anything to make this easier …? Without a decent way to retopo i’m stuck with nice looking highpoly models and getting stuck when i’m trying to make a lowpoly model that is useful for animation purposes …

![retopo.jpg|960x720](upload://n4r77i75TOvNi1a3Xo5n9R6z0Bg.jpeg)![retopo01.jpg|960x720](upload://4xOe1S4llyQeH784c2bmo6jV8F5.jpeg)

i feel your pain. Retopo needs attention in ZBrush. A lot of people first use polypainting to draw the topology on the model. Then it is a matter of placing points. You’ll find hands very challenging too. Eyes are easy. In some other post someone has mentioned how to prevent the back of the model from showing in retopology.

Thanks for the reply. I’m tempted to buy 3d coat but I’m really hoping that at some point zbrush will be able to handle it similarly instead and saving me from buying another 3d program just for retopo. At the moment at some point it becomes a matter of luck and guessing on my part as I don’t know what I’m looking at at some point. The fact you can’t really use perspective lest the points don’t snap to the model doesn’t exactly help either.

In some other post someone has mentioned how to prevent the back of the model from showing in retopology.

this would be a step in the right direction. You don’t happen to have a link?