Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default heads thread wips Help?

just a wip of a zombie head I made from a sphere. lot of work to do on it..cyas
    ron

z0mbie2.jpg
    Last edited by Ron Harris; 09-14-10 at 01:19 PM.

!!!!! Heya, Ron. Looks good. Zombie? From Ron Harris? I am just shocked.

lol Brian...yeah some things are like that....just cant seem to want to give up doing them....or heads for that matter....great to hear from ya....shoot me an email catfishmn@aol.com and chat like the old days....

well I figure this will be a good place to post my heads...this is the first time I have made the eyeballs as one piece in the sculpt...

thnx for looking

o yeah...we modeled from a polymeshed sphere in z4

ron

berryman1.jpg

a hollering head...though he is a bit bumpy I like him better than my others on this thread. One head at a time hopefully will improve me.
    ron

holleringHead2.jpg

Default help plzzzz

I am starting out with a pm3dsphere at around 500 polys and ending up at around a half million polys as I divide each stage. I need some crits as to what
    s wrong with my heads. They dont end up clean like everyone elses. what am I doing wrong. I am missing something I know....probably talent..lol...but for real...any help will be appreciated.

Ron

ZBrush Document333.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sept14head12.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	34.8 KB 
ID:	215979  
    Last edited by Ron Harris; 09-14-10 at 05:14 PM.

New Member Follow User Gallery

I'd have to see your wireframe (shift-f), I suspect your issues of inefficiency (too many polys) and shape may result from bad edge flows. I am assuming that you are building the base from a low-poly object...

It looks like you 'get' facial features, but your proportional layout of these features and underlying structures could use some reference

The George Bridgman books are great for basic volumes of the head, and an understanding of 'classical' facial feature layout. Otherwise, general medical anatomy will tell you how the facial muscles actually sit on the skull.

Best learning process:
    1)Build a photoreal skull
    2)Build the musculature on the skull reference (subtool)
    3)Build the actual face using 2) as reference (subtool)

You can always practice building up overtop of the default zbrush man/bust, or even better, put it beside the object you are building.

You clearly have the passion, you can use that to refine and make your head sculpting even faster (and of course, better!).

Hi Ron,I think dfo gave some great advice.Saying that Ive never built up from the skel..! Id recommend using a good model as a ref and copying it as a start to learning what works best.The base must be in a good shape as a low div level first off.Then use the clay to build mass.Use masks to isolate the eyes,lips ,nose and work on 1 feature at a time.Its much easier to hide everything except one part for example hide all except the mouth region,then sort out the shape and then detail.The repeat the hide process for the eyes etc..I moved forward this way..Even if your copy is not exact it will still embed you with great knowledge.Ps ,if you want to send me one of your heads I'll do some damage and return it,if you think it could help!Goodluck..
    My mail just incase..
    calum.andrews@btopenworld.com

thnx dfo...those references and suggestions will prove helpful

cal my friend, thank you as well. I still dont completely understand edgelooping.

What I did with this next head was to go back to box modeling. Started with a 4 polygon box and worked my way up to this head 98k poly. It's a bit better and will try another one with the demo head being my model guideline.

thnx again guys. If I run into trouble I will send the head to you cal.

ron

ps. Your suggestions opened my eyes to the now most wonderful tool, the clay brush.....between taht and smooth I have had alot of fun with this head.

3way2222b.jpg
    Last edited by Ron Harris; 09-16-10 at 11:36 AM.

Actually dont worry about edge loops or topology,you can retopo after you've finished modellling/ detailing etc if you want to but for doing heads for fun you dont really need to...Goodluck