ZBrushCentral

Monday Night Challenge #4 Z -Magic Scene

Monday Night Challenge

First off, there are no winners and no losers. This is not a contest. It’s a chance for everyone to take one idea and see how many different ways it can be done. A chance to share tips.

Each Monday night (in irc chat. Server - irc.sorcery.net port 9000 room zbrush3) the person who issued the challenge the week before, selects a new person to come up with a theme… random choice, picking a name out of a hat, throwing a dart whatever. It’s not decided by who did the best picture (that keeps the playing field level for all.)

For those who might not like that only people who can get in irc can get the chance to choose a theme, We’re sorry, but it was decided that it was the only way to ensure that a theme would be announced that night. Also, it’s good to discuss a theme with the group to work out the details.
Note: if for some reason the person who’s to select the new person doesn’t show up, a name will be drawn. (This is to make sure there is no hold up on the challenge. This also ensures no one person can derail that week.)

Everyone is encouraged to participate. Give a quick description of what you used to create the image… or a detailed indepth lesson is most welcome, but not mandatory. This is to be fun, not hard work.

ok with that out of the way…our new person to put out the challenge idea of the week is from MTB aka Mahlikus the Black

:red_circle: Mike chose a magical scene for the challenge.

:red_circle: Male or female character performing magic.

:red_circle: The person can also be a demon form also.  

:red_circle: Magical Imagery, maybe figures or still life, backgrounds optional

So get to waving those Z wands and post your creations here.

Thanks to Pixolator, we will now have a gallery. If you want your image included add [GalleryEntry] to your image tag.

:+1:             :+1:            :+1:            :+1:            :+1:            :+1:

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 19, 2002 Message edited by: moderator </font>

Y :o :o :o EHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Thx Ron.
Nice words zerobugetgamemaker, David
:wink:

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 12, 2002 Message edited by: Q-qeo </font>

The magic of stencils. :smiley:

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 12, 2002 Message edited by: gummie </font>

Material tests:

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1037091145cfc.jpg[/img]     

:large_orange_diamond: Colorized Glow on stone, Glow light centered in stone to light up wood and face.

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 12, 2002 Message edited by: Jaycephus </font>

[img]http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/zbc_uploads/user_image-1037314638bon.jpg[/img]    

:large_orange_diamond: Background filled with free desktop wallpaper from the Bethesda Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind website (used for this test only - needed something to show distortion of Dragon Breath - notice the heavily distorted blue-white flame on the right side behind the Dragon Flame).

:large_orange_diamond: Zsphere Dragon head.

:large_orange_diamond: Transparent Dragon's Breath created with the Pixolator Clone Brush method, and modified with the Smudge, Eraser, and Bump brush, using the SprayBrush stroke.

:large_orange_diamond: Cone used for Transparent Breath was deformed and placed using a Flame material.

:large_orange_diamond: Same Cone used for Flame was placed using a Smoke material and rotated/scaled.

:large_orange_diamond: Smudge, ShadingEnhancer, and Simple Brush used to blend Fire and Smoke, increase intensity of Fire and Shadows, and add and enhance highlights to existing shapes in the background plane.

:large_orange_diamond: P.S. Glow lights and a Point light -- just one light at full intensity was not enough -- placed in Dragon's mouth.  No other lighting used.  GI settings were 6 rays and GDI set to 100, with Shadows ON at full intensity and ZMode ON.

:large_orange_diamond: P.P.S. I could have used the Blur Brush to good effect, but I totally neglected to try it out at any point.

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 14, 2002 Message edited by: Jaycephus </font>

Okay, I think this is my final one.

[GalleryEntry]

Question:

I am assuming that this must be 100% ZBrush. No use of tools brought in from other sources. Is that correct?

Thanks
Mak

You are correct Northstar. :slight_smile:

Here’s my entry, I’ve not had a lot of time to post lately, love these challenges and I always try to make time for them.

[GalleryEntry]

Mostly 2D work with a bit of fibre brush for the grass and bushes.
Cheers
Mik

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 12, 2002 Message edited by: Mik </font>

Oh my Mik!
That is a WONDERFUL image!
Truly great!
Way to go buddy!!!
:sunglasses: :smiley: :+1: :+1: :+1: :smiley: :sunglasses:

Gummie: Also great man! Gotta love the magic props!! :smiley:

Jaycephus: I cant wait to see what you have in mind for your image for that is just the same setup I had in mind too. :wink:

Great stuff! Keep’em coming everyone!!!

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 12, 2002 Message edited by: Mahlikus The Black </font>

Here’s a basic start on one of the characters for mine. It doesn’t look very magical yet, but it’ll make more sense when I add more to it. :slight_smile:

Very impressive images !
Mik you should do more of these type of images.

This is a great challenge, I think there will be a lot of interesting pics soon!
But Jay, Does the light on the face come from the stone :qu: I would not know how one was to adjust the materials for this effect.

This is a test using a POSER female as a test body for my first scene…the rest of the scene is done entirely in Zbrush…Z-bier logo on the can was made in psp. The next job will be to make a z person to go in place of poser chick.

Skyclad Sorceress Misusing her powers to turn the TV …too much Z bier :wink:

Image (Nudity)
[GalleryEntry]

The Wizard’s Alter Room (#2)

1. Background done in Z originally. I turned the letter L into an alpha and then skinned it to make the walls and floor one piece. The object coming from the walls are the same alpha resized and inflated

2. The urn was done using the sweep profile tool.

3. Wizard head sculpted sphere…the hair was achieved by masking and inversing the mask leaving the hair parts editable. I think smoothed and inflated and added noise all from the deformations pallette.

4. The hand is from Fouad’shand script. I then cut a star into the hand with z sub selected.

5. The nails are cones that I offset in the deformations pallette and applied gravity, flattening and tapering and then resized and applied to the hand.

6. The cloak of the wizard is just a ton of zspheres… though the sleeve where the hand is …is no more than a torus tool deformed flattened and tapered and then moved, stretched snapshot and repeated…and the face of the cloak surrounding the head is torus tool as well. That gave my cloak a little more finished and less rough look.

7. I used painshop pro7 to add the sunburst in the hand and to add the signature in the palm and to also add the smoke to the alter. Those things could have been done in Z totally cept for the sunspot (havent totally figured that one out yet) The background was composited to the wizard in psp also. My computer resources are extremely low and the easiest solution was to use psp in this instance…

[GalleryEntry]

I have to tell you, this little challenge is very very trying…I thought it would be a breeze…guess fantasy stuff like this isn’t my normal forte’. You all are doing an outstanding job on these posts…lovin it all… Mik you are a real powerhouse…everytime I visit you have popped out another one…great job to you and everyone else who is participating!!!

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 15, Year of the Apocolypse Message edited by: Darkgazer</font>

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 15, 2002 Message edited by: Ron Harris </font>

Incantations and Invocations 001

“I invoke and call upon thee O Servant of the Corpse, who shines for all, who flows through all, empty and hollow. Sorrowfull Creature of weeping worlds, I invite you into my circle; touch us, change us, make us hurt”

[GalleryEntry]

:small_orange_diamond:E :angry: ( ;))

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 13, 2002 Message edited by: Evoken </font>

The magic box, I intended to make this look like one of those old magic acts posters but I’m not having much luck. It’s an intriguing box, however.

Well, here we go! This challenge turned out to be a great experiment in lighting and fog for me. And I could hide all my modelling mistakes under fog… Heee Hee!

MAGIK

:b2: :b2: :b2:
[GalleryEntry]

:b2: :b2: :b2:

A final test.
I may have the time to properly add mats and colorize it before monday but as of yet, Iam not sure.

[GalleryEntry]

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 17, 2002 Message edited by: Mahlikus The Black </font>

Here’s another character I designed for my scene as well as a quick set-up I did to see how I wanted to compose my scene. I just used one generic pose for the faeries right now, but they will be posed differently. I can see now that the color scheme is “too busy”, so I’ll need to work on that.

No, the character in the middle isn’t Homer Simpson. :rolleyes:

<font color="#949494" size=“1”> November 13, 2002 Message edited by: WingedOne </font>

Looks awesome already WingedOne!!!
I am really excited to see the final!

:+1: :+1: :+1: