Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Default GuildWars2 Charr first ZBrush fanart (WIP)

Hello ZBrush community,

This is my very first work in ZBrush. Theme is one of the new playable races in Guild Wars 2, a female Charr.
    portkl.jpg
    portrait.jpg

Ref.: CharrF_render-sm.jpg from
    ArenaNet
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:CharrF_render.jpg .

charr.jpg

charr-re.jpg

charr-left.jpg

charrback.jpg

I would be very happy to get some constructive reviews and criticism in order to further improve the character. The tail is not finished yet, I would do the retopo and the transpose only after the constructive input I hope to get from you.

Christian

Happy ZBrushing!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	charr.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	190.6 KB 
ID:	222943  
    Last edited by Morgaine; 10-23-10 at 08:06 AM.

Red face

so much views and no suggestions or critics, I can't believe it. Any suggestions and crits will always be much appreceated and and welcomed.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 10-24-10 at 06:51 AM.

portkl.jpg

fehler.jpg

I have used the move brush but it distorted the belt, what am I doing wrong?
    I would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

Christian

very odd that there are no replies yet. one reason might be that you asked for critique and there is really not that much to criticize because that is a pretty impressive first Zbrush sculpt.

1 thing though - it's overall a very cool fantasy game character model with a good balance of detail, but if you wouldn't have mentioned it I would have never guessed that it's supposed to be a female. that simply doesn't come across due to the rather bulky torso and very heavy arms. the bulge in the armor around the breasts area could also just be armor for a very muscular guy. so if you really want her to look female I would suggest adjusting her her whole body proportions more towards those of a "woman". even the face could be tweaked towards more female cat characteristics with a slimmer skull shape and bigger eyes in relation to the skull.

here are a few examples for a more female direction:

http://www.magicdeckvortex.com/ART3/...aren_bader.jpg

http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/...36o5mr74g4.jpg

http://www.actionfigurepics.com/wp-c...ts_biggara.jpg

now about your move tool problem with that strap: which version of Zbrush you use? if you use 4 then I would suggest giving the move elastic brush a try. generally for what you want to do it is best to use a wider brush radius at mid to low intensity with a higher focal shift(25 - 50) to achieve a smooth move deformation and simply move carefully

and finish that damn tail

one more thing -

generally I would suggest you first focus getting your overal form and shape right and post it here for suggestions and then once you are confident with that, move on to the detail work

Furthermore I have no idea what you are aiming for with your work, but in case you want to work as a professional character artist in the game industry for example the I highly suggest getting some plain realistic humans done for your portfolio. you won't believe how many portfolios I have seen in my job as art director which show off great looking monsters and fantasy characters and the very same artists would then fail miserably when challenged with a simple human character. seriously. most lead artists and art directors who decide if you get a job, will first check if you can do a convincing human in your portfolio and then for everything else.

disregard and forgive what I said of course if you are already working in the industry. As I said, I have no idea what you are actually doing and aiming for and just assumed you are new to this, since you mentioned this is your first ZBrush work.

Hi Julian,

Many thanks for your detailed answer!
    The links are great, only for the first I get the message "forbidden".

The females of the Charr race do not look as feminine as one might think, I suppose ArenaNet has their gender looking quite neutral because the game has a rating 12+. Here is another image of female charr:
    http://www.guildwars2.com/global/inc...gersgroup1.jpg

-------------

Move brush: I use ZBrush4 and I will give the move elastic brush a try (so many brushes) with your recommended settings. Thanks again!

------------

Regarding your second posting -
    no problem, I am grateful for every tip as I'm currently working on my portfolio.
    Here's a link to other work.

http://morgaineistari.deviantart.com/gallery/

The next ZBrush I will work on will be a (human) male GuildWars Ranger
    http://www.gwchars.de/character.php?id=130000
    together with his pet.

Thanks again for all your advice, I'm really grateful for it!
    Christian

New Member Follow User Gallery

This is very interesting and an excellent job, especially as a first sculpt! I just created an account because I am doing something exactly like this as my first sculpt. I am doing the male Charr Warrior... lol. As of right now, you are so far ahead of me. I only have like 1 free hour a day after work and grad school/homework...

In any case, what is taking me the longest is learning everything in ZBrush. It seems like every day I do something, I end up redoing it 2-5 times in a different way with better results. I am attempting to learn the most powerful/least time consuming techniques so that I can maximize my efficiency (I learned how important this is once I got into environmental/level design in Unreal.)

BTW, I made the same mistake as you and attempted to detail before I should have. Plus, I was originally doing just the head. However, now that I understand subtools and how to create new ones straight from the base tool I am planning on doing the whole body and armor... I will likely post my base mesh before detail to get some tips on proportions before I sculpt in details.

Two things still have me stumped though. First, I really want the effect of real hair, but it is too painful rendering Maya or Max fur over a whole body... Second, Even with a good PC, I can not subdivide past 18 million polys. That doesn't seem like enough for a fully body, especially if you hit like 8 then can't subdivide again. How many polys are you working with on your base tool?

Hi Photonic,

thanks! Regarding your question about the polys, I subdivide twice and then I change to Sculpt HD.

Christian

polys.jpg aktive-points.jpg

Very good (and ambitious) for a first sculpt! Someone else mentioned this, and I'll repeat it: Don't get detailed until the basic form is totally solid. I understand this is pretty much impossible the first time you feel the rush of the powerful detailing tools though!

The first thing that jumped out at me is the front view of the head. It's got an odd heart shape to it. At first I thought it was because the back of the head bulges out too much, but now I'm thinking it's the snout that isn't wide enough. But I'm still pretty newbish at characters. I work at ArenaNet, so I'll forward this thread to some of my co-worker who made the female Charr and see if they want to give you any feedback.

Thanks Scrybe!

My toughest critics, "my wife ", had the same objection, and if you have this same impression as well I will work on a change. I did not notice it while working, probably it is because of all those many possibilities that ZBrush offers. They are tempting me so much that it carries me away sometimes.

In the next work I’m planning, a male human GW Ranger, I'll try to avoid such errors.

If it should happen that I might really get feedback from your colleagues at ArenaNet, that would of course be a great pleasure and honor for me.

Bests,

Christian

charr.jpg
    CharacterStrip2.jpg

... Here my little update without the changes proposed by Scrybe, but with new expression, I hope you like it and any suggestions and crits will always be much appreceated and and welcomed because I'm still learning.

Christian

I think the legs are too small. They don't look like they could support him. Other than that it looks great. Well done
    You should give him a render in max or maya with hair and fur.

Hi, here's a suggestion on the legs

beastlegs.jpg

To get a more dynamic pose for this kind of beast, knees and feet should be oriented outwards while the hocks should do it inwards. Your model's pose looks great from side views but somewhat "human" from the front.

That's all, great modeling!

Thanks u3190 and Serek for the suggestions and crits
    they are very helpful for me.

Christan

Many thanks to:
    Julian_K for your fantastatic sss shader
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=92983
    I have used your sss shader now for the new pics and my first turntable.
    ryankingslien for your help to upload a HD video on YouTube
    Scrybe for your suggestions with the head bulges etc.
    u3190 for your suggestions with the legs.
    Serek for your suggestions for the dynamic knee pose

this was just great and all very helpful for me!

Christan

Now with udates and changes I hope you like it!

charr-front.jpg

charr-lfs.jpg

charr-back.jpg

charr-re.jpg

Christian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast