Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks, I'll have to play around a little...

Restart zbrush, draw your zsphere armature on the canvas, under Adaptive skin in the tool palette enable: "Use Classic skinning".
    Now, in the transform palette the sliders should be fully functional.

Okay I got it now....so what exactly are the drawbacks to classic skinning?

You always come to my rescue, thanks....BTW where do you get your cape dry-cleaned???

No problems

Well, the skinning isn't as evenly spread out over the model by default, so you have to play around with the Mbr slider and the Mp and Mc. And the topology isn't evenly spaced over the model either, its based on how many underlying zspheres you have. So on longer chains add a couple of zspheres to get more loops, and a more even topology.

Are we talking dry cleaning now !?

Might as well talk about dry-cleaning since I beat this subject to death today!

Haha, true...
    Well, I'm of to bed now, good luck with the alien!

So here is an update of the alien. I haven't really gotten to the hands and feet yet or any of the fine details, but I think it's moving along okay so far. This is only a test project so I want to merge the subtools and attempt to rig and pose it to see how that goes next.

C&C's welcome progress.jpg

So while trying to rig my alien I got a message saying (not enough ram). Well, I only have 10 GB of ram in my Mac. How much do I need to run Zbrush without getting this roadblock? I have this problem a lot, but don't want to spend a fortune upgrading my ram for the same message to appear. Any ideas? error.jpg

You have more than sufficient RAM. ZBrush is a 32 bit app so the most it can use is 4 GB anyway, and that's on a 64 bit OS.

How many total points do you have?

I got 4gigs of ram and i can do even the most complex models, you doing something wrong ;f And about teh alien, you really need to take a look at some anatomy references ;]

Posted by slocik

And about teh alien, you really need to take a look at some anatomy references ;]
    And just where is he going to find a real alien to reference anatomy from?....Dude!....it's an alien!

Thank you for the support zber2. I used anatomy reference in a very general way, but I don't want a human body with an alien head. This guy can be whatever I want him to be. I hope slocik doesn't think I meant for it to look like proper anatomy....how gross would that be?!? LOL

@ slocik..I agree, I figured I'm doing something wrong, but I can't figure out what. I am learning Zbrush in between real jobs and apply whatever I figure out, but I don't have loads of time to devote to learning it the proper way. So what you see is what I have pieced together from various tuts and help from ZBC.

Member Follow User Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by zber2
    And just where is he going to find a real alien to reference anatomy from?....Dude!....it's an alien!
    On the one hand you're right - It's his creation, it can be however the hell he wants it, on the other hand though it's also a humanoid creature, and no matter what design, there's certain factors that play into it to make it more beliveable - and a good design is always somewhere anchored reality so we can relate to it. In this case it's probably about distribution of volume and weight, or about the muscles. For example - In "The Art of Mass Effect" it's said that a very popular and effective way of creating and alien creature or make something look alien is to take 2 design-elements from things we are familiar with and combine them in unusual ways. Like, take the eyes of an insect and put em on a dog or something, maybe add an exoskeleton - voila - fourlegged alien thingie - However, very much rooted in reality.

I agree with all of you on the point actually. This is a quick and dirty experiment thrown together for the purpose of applying some new things I'm trying to learn. But the C&C is always welcomed. I know that I need a lot of work with anatomy, as it doeasn't come naturally for me in general, so it's no surprise to me if someone doesn't like it. I'm learning though, this is better than I've done in the past so at least I'm advancing, even if it's only one small step at a time.

@ zber2....I forgot to answer your question..... total Points= 917 mil because I was experimenting in HD mode.
    Last edited by HYDE; 12-16-10 at 10:40 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast