ZBrushCentral

Jordel from concept to animation !!

Hi all,

I’ve decided to share the joys and frustrations of my process with the Zbrush community on that little project.

So comments and critics are more than welcome !

The idea is to bring a character to life from model to animation, in this particular case I did a quick sculpt of an archer.

So first one is the sculpt I did of my archer let’s call him ‘JORDEL’ ( he looks like a guy who would be called Jordel ) in a particular pose, the 2 other ones are the first stage of putting him in a more neutral pose to prepare it for rigging.

Once again c&c welcome !

Stay tuned !

Attachments

archer_pose.jpg

archer_02.jpg

archer_01.jpg

great stuff, i like his attitude.

did u actualy animate an character of urs?

Cheers

Hey Marrakech,

Well the idea is actually to turn this sculpt into an animatable rig and to share the process with the community.
I’ll post again soon !

Hmm. You wanted crit. Is this a human, elf, or what? No matter what it is, to me it looks quite wonky and lumpy with totally misplaced/wrong anatomy. I understand this is probly the first first dynamesh blockout or something, but i’d suggest using symmetry at first and focus on the muscles to make it look more natural :slight_smile:

Are u going to use blender for the rig?

u might like this making off https://area.autodesk.com/tutorials/making_of_taking_the_plunge

u sure know how to animate :smiley: http://mottello.com/memory-of-milk

Thanks for the interest guys !

Nikol - it is a human with deformed proportions and I actually am recreating the symetry now…will update soon
Would be great to have even more feedback from you when that happens.

Marrakech - I’ll take a look at your tutorial but I was thinking about using Advanced skeleton for maya, but who knows I am such at an early stage that I might change my mind. Thanks for the compliment !

Figured the anatomy would be deformed on purpose but wasn’t sure. I’m no anatomy master myself, those were just first thoughts that came to my mind :). Just watched your 2D-short movie, that was pretty cool!! Keep it up :cool:

I kind of like the strange anatomy proportions, at first its shocking but after closer inspection it is interesting,
reminds me the weird anatomy of the giants in Attack on Titan.

Still working on the model at this stage but I just thought I’d post a few preparatory sketches to keep the thread alive !

Jordel1.jpgJordel2.jpgJordel3.jpg

Here is a symmetry pass with basic colors for presentation…

Jordel_face.jpgJordel_Symetry.jpg

The idea is to keep simplified suggestive shapes overall …

It’s a good start for a sculpt / model you intend to animate in Maya. I’ve done something like this recently for my reel, although the emphasis was on particle vfx, and not the character animation.
One problem I have with this model right now is the feet. Everything down to the ankles has a particular level of development that is related to your drawing style. At the feet, it is missing the suggestive shape of feet and looks either like it’s melted chocolate or a wad of gum. I think you want to go more towards the outline shape of a foot wearing socks. The ball or big toe joint is pronounced enough to be visible from socks. It’s also help placing the heel, ball and toe joints for animating.

Getting there nicely!