Member Follow User Gallery

Default Stephen Anderson - Sculpt-Off Submission

Hey everyone. I first wanted to say thank you for the honor of being able to participate in this awesome event! I'm a super ZBrush fan, so this was amazing.

Below, I've included my work in progress sketches etc to show a bit of my design process figuring out what I wanted to do for the competition. I'll also include my submission as well as a refinished version that I did after the competition because some glitches wouldn't let me go into KeyShot for the competition, so without further ado, here ya go!

Sketches:

So I started with a route that I felt would ultimately not represent me or my story-telling/character background, so I changed gears over time to start trying to reflect more of the background of the character/robot I was to produce. I researched the theme (taking the aspects of the theme quite literally) and researched post-apocalyptic and cyberpunk to know what they meant and what they entailed. May have been over-kill, but I wanted to do well ;-) So anyway, I discovered that cyberpunk was defined as high-tech low-life. Since the idea of the sculpt off was to have man and machine scavenging for common necessities, I decided to go the scavenger route. The last image shows some experimentation with adding a nap-sack--an idea of him exploring and finding parts he needs.

Below is what it started to develop into:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	COMP_02.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	672.3 KB 
ID:	522403  
    ---------------
    3D Concept Modeler @ Walt Disney Imagineering

Default Stephen Anderson - Final Concept Development

So once I decided on a head design, I designed the rest of the body and did some test sculpts. Those will come in my next reply.

After I made a sculpt, if I liked it better than the current concept, I would render it out, and composite it on top of the concept to update to something more appealing. The image of just the head from the 3 views is the image I used in Spotlight during the competition for reference for my final piece.
    ---------------

Default Stephen Anderson - Some Test Sculpts

The last two are the most recent pass I did before heading to the competition. I was contemplating a turtle-neck sweater sort of deal for him at one point, but decided against the super sweater look for the final piece (though I did retain some of that texture for the final piece ;-) )

---------------

Default Stephen Anderson - Final Submission

I ran into some technical difficulties during the contest that killed me time-wise to some extent. I would have loved to have been able to do a few other things to this, but this is where it ended up in the time given me to work. Just a bit on the adventure, I got in to find that the default keyboard shortcuts had been deleted and some of my major hotkeys had been changed, so Joseph Drust came over to help me troubleshoot that and taught me how to manually set a hotkey. Felt like a live session of #AskZBrush lol. After that, there were some troubles with my Spotlight hotkeys and I never got that fully resolved, so I just made do the best I could. After that, Dynamic subdivision somehow got turned on for all of my pieces. I don't know how, but it super slowed down my computer. It was kind of like trying to work on my MacBook. Anyway, it wouldn't let me sculpt my wear and tear details, so I got fed up and DynaMeshed pieces of it. That cleared that right up. lol. My mesh got pretty heavy (due to noise and the still mysterious dynamic subdivision--if I had known what was going on, I could've saved myself a butt-load of time. lol), and it wouldn't go into KeyShot. That was the most frustrating part to me because I was really looking forward to creating material and color separation to make my piece stand out, but nope. Didn't happen . . . bummer. Oh well. I'll post the refinished piece next.

---------------

Cool Stephen Anderson - Second Pass

Here's more what I wanted it to look like. This is the same sculpt with a different head rendered out in material passes in KeyShot and composited in PhotoShop:

My plan is to eventually take him all the way to finish and possibly prep him for 3D print. I super enjoyed creating this guy, and I hope you enjoyed seeing him and the process behind him.

If you would like to give me a follow, the best place to see regular updates is on Instagram username: @smaartist

Cheers.
    ---------------