ZBrushCentral

Executioner - started from Zspheres

Hi all,

I have decided to try and make a model using only Zbrush, this is my first test of using Zspheres to start a model as i usually use Maya for the base model so its a bit of a learning experience as well.

I am going to make this Executioner style character that a friend of mine has concepted really quickly for me.
[attach=65436]ExecutionerConcept.jpg[/attach]

Here is my base mesh started from Zspheres and the adaptive skinned mesh before any sculpting.

[attach=65437]Executioner_Model_01.jpg[/attach]

im pretty happy with the overall shape of the body just now but im not too sure if the topology will be ok, But im going to try anyway:)
any comments are most welcome.

Attachments

ExecutionerConcept.jpg

Executioner_Model_01.jpg

Here is a quick update of my progress so far,
[attach=65435]Executioner_Model_02.jpg[/attach]

My knowledge of anatomy is very limited just now but im trying to learn with this model, if there is any obvious mistakes with the muscular forms please let me know :slight_smile:

thank you.

Attachments

Executioner_Model_02.jpg

DarkMonk for me your project look good so… go ahead, its early make criticism about your character… :smiley:

The concepts is very interesting and I think the final model will be the same… :wink:

Also you consider that you can refine your work a lot of time… in many different ways… I think don’t worry.

Ciao!

P.S.
I hope my English isn’t too nauseating… :mad:

ok, here is an update of the head, not really sure if i like it so far so im off to bed to sleep on it, hopefully ill have a better idea of what i want in the morning :slight_smile:
[head_lighter.jpg]

Any comments or ideas on how to make it look more interesting would be great.

can we see it with a brighter material?

Zspheres is my favourite.You are creating a very good model DarkMonk and you have done great muscles sculpting.
Did you use your own alphas or the alphas from the alpha library?

hi,

I have updated the previous image with a lighter material, ill post a lighter version of the body later after i work on it a little more.

piz :- thanks for the comments, your english is good :slight_smile:

dionisis21 :- Zspheres are much better than i realised, its very quick to get a base model to work from although i need to reaserch them a little more before i fully get used to using them. So far ive only used Zbrush brushes not used any of my own alphas.

Thanks for the comments so far, keep them coming :slight_smile:

Hi, Not having much luck today, Zbrush has crashed a couple of times and i have lost a couple of hours worth of work :frowning: so this update does not have as much of a change as it should have.

Did not like the original mouth for the character as he was looking to human and thats not what i wanted os here is the latest head.
[attach=66887]head_02.jpg[/attach]

Also added a little of the clothing and adjusted some muscles.

[attach=66888]Executioner_Model_03.jpg[/attach]

would love to hear any comments you have of what you think, especially on the new face design.

thanks

Attachments

Thumbnail.jpg

head_02.jpg

Executioner_Model_03.jpg

Hi DarkMonk, I like the concept you have chosen to sculpt, and will be looking forward to the updates, so far its looking very promising. Only a small crit, and you can throw it out if you think i’m wrong. in the concept sketch you posted, the character looks as though he’s a tall fella, and your figure appears to be on the short size, wetrher this is his dress that needs to be lengthend I’m not sure. But to me something in his length seems to be out of proportion.

Aside from that, i think your doing a great job here.
:tu :+1:

hi,

Thanks for the comments panstar, i think it looks a little short because his arms were outstretched, i have reposed him and feel the proportions look better, what do you think?

[attach=66886]Executioner_Model_04.jpg[/attach]
Now that ive reposed him i need to fix some of the muscle areas as they have distorted slightly.

Attachments

Executioner_Model_04.jpg

Thats it, the proportions look much better when he’s posed.

:+1:small_orange_diamond:+1:

hi all,

N ot had any time to work on this for a while so thought i would just share this small update with you.

[Executioner_Model_05.jpg]Executioner_head_02.jpg
Im having some difficulty getting detail into some areas as my model is already to many polys for my computer to handle properly, think im going to have to re-do the topology at some point very soon.

Any comments are most welcome :slight_smile:

yeah, but what about HD geometry?

good point, i have not tried out the HD geomtry in Zbrush yet
BUT, my Zbrush crashes allot just now saying i dont have enough ram, this happens EVERY time i try and save the tool when my model is at the highest level, so i have to always remember to change to the lowest subdivision level before saving or it will crash on save and when that happens even the saved model becomes corrupt, i have lost my work so many times on this model because i forget to lower the subdiv level.
Have you used the HD mode ? is it stable to use?

I have 4gig of ram so i should not be having ram problems :frowning:

Will do some tests with HD geo just now :slight_smile:

Yes, HD Geo is stable…

It’s basically extra polys in the background, that will only be sculptable in Sculpt HD mode.

Can’t explain your saving problem. How many polys is this guy at highest sub-div level.

Nice work with your zspheres. Looks pretty true to your concept sketch. You should be able to retop quickly and increase your detail. Keep going… :wink:

Hi!,

First off, wanted to say that the model looks very good so far, and that the design has a very nice, strong and easy to read silhouette. The amount of work you’ve done really shows and I’m very much looking forward to seeing the final result. One area that does strike me, especially from the images of when the character is in the DaVinci pose is that the forearms and hands seem to have some minor issues. Specifically, the wrist/carpel area seems very tapered down compared to the mass of the upper arm and the elbow and the hands seem somewhat small for the look you seem to be working towards. I had a teacher once who was really picky about how hands were executed since they suggest a great deal through subtext and it really does help (the Michelangelo “David” is a beautiful example that he used often to illustrate this. My teacher noticed, when viewing the piece in Italy, the hands are quite large relative to the arms and he had a theory that this might have been a subtle way of suggesting physical power that would not fit the subject if it had been done via building huge muscles on the body proper. The “David” is also a superb illustration of the wrist area and how it flows into the hand.) As I said these are only thoughts and I think what you have done so far is an excellent start that should end up with a very dramatic piece. Look forward to seeing where you go next with this!

hi,

Thanks for the comments guys,

3Dean:- I have removed his hands for the main mesh so he is lower polycount now so hopefully it will be more stable, he was 4mil polys. i tried HD geo and it crashed as well, might be a problem with this model or my PC but now ive removed his hands it may be ok to work on.fingers crossed :slight_smile:

Jason:- thanks, this was my first real use of Zspheres, they were much better than i thought they would be, ill befinatly be using them again to start off my models from now on.

Johannes:- This is a very interesting point about the hands, ill look into it some more and ill check out the hands on the “David” statue. Thank you

ok, my Zbrush keep crashing while working on this model so im having a break from working on it just now because its driving me nuts. going to see if it crashes my PC at work so i can find out if its my computer or the model that has the problem :frowning:

Made a couple of quick renders of the head so far and composited them in photoshop, Would love to hear any comments on the look of it so far.

[Executioner_head_03.jpg]

Hopefully i can find out what the problem is and finish this model soon.

sometimes… someone just has to point out things like this… look at the mouth on the last posted image… and tell me what you think that is… and no. .I don’t have a twisted mind…

it was looking good before u textured… I think u went to dark =/
:lol: