ZBrushCentral

Little Creature

Hi guys,

This is my latest Zbrush work, hope you like it :D Its based on some small creatures in an image by the artist Paul Bonner. Its been a while since ive had time to work in Zbrush so i was feeling a little rusty but it came back to me quickly :) made the base mesh with Zspheres and blocked out forms, then exported to Topogun for some retopolgy before sending back to Zbrush for the detailing and colours. Final image is a compsosite in photoshop of a few differnt materials from Zbrush. Comments always welcome, Thanks john ![LittleCreature01.jpg|1200x1179](upload://9twt9mERNNW4rc7ducA3tn0DOl5.jpeg) [](http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/faq.php?faq=vb_read_and_post#faq_zbc_display_images)

cool little guy, but why he has no eyelids ?;f

he just does not have visible eyelids :wink:
He is meant to be an amphibiuos type of creature kind of like a frog or salamander so his eyelids are tucked away.

Do you think he would benifit from having eyelids that you could see ? as i could add them in but i did not really think it would make any difference until you mentioned it lol. :smiley:

yeah eyelids always make a creature feel more real, even tine ones ;]

ok cool thanks, ill add some eyelids for the next render :smiley:

final image of the little fellow on a rock :slight_smile:

@slocik I did try adding eyelids but i just could not get it to look how i wanted it, as soon as he has eyelids (even tiny ones) he loses that bug eyed gormless look that i like about him.
CreaturePosed.jpg

Attachments

CreatureProfiles.jpg

still teh eyes just aren’t there, but at least you finished it and are happy with it, ( something i must start doing about my models ).
Anyway , for the render you shcould pick a bit of profile look.

@slocik Yeah normally i dont finish off my models either lol so i was glad to get this to a stage im happy with before moving on. ill make sure to try and think about eyelids for my next project though :smiley:

Here is the little fellow in a realtime engine, this is a screen from the Marmoset model viewer and a wireframe of the low poly version.

Great character! Like the marmoset screens!

the realtimer renders look better, LOL

LOL, yeah i like the realtime ones better as well, i might experiment a little with the composited one to try and adjust the details a little more, ive not done much compositing of images from Zbursh before so it was a bit experimental and i seemed to lose lots of the colour information on the rocks.

I really like the last render. The creature is great, cute but menacing.

Loved the marmoset render. Could u recomend a good tutorial to learn how to use it? i have tried it a few times but cant get my model visible only the wire frame in best cases :frowning:

@bucanero32 Hi, glad you like the marmoset version, This was my first time using it and i also looked around for some useful info on how to set it up but was unable to find anything of any use so i just played around with everything unti i understood what all the settings did.
Im not sure why you are unable to see your model though :confused: all you should need to do to get started is open your mesh into marmoset (i saved my mesh as an OBJ from maya with all edges smoothed) and then change to the mat tab at the top left of the screen and add your Textures into the correct slots, if you mouse over the areas where the textures go it will give you some info on how the map works and if it uses the alpha channel etc… For this model i only use 3 textures, a Diffuse, Normal and a spec/gloss map. I would suggest only adding a diffuse to see if your model is working and if it does not display correctly then there could be a problem with the model you are importing. let me know how it goes and if i see any tutorials that could help you ill send you a link :slight_smile:

Hi Darkmonk and thx for replying. As u said there is no much of this engine, my problem is that the material doesn’t show in the model channels, i add a light but now my model is all white like a mask. Anyway, please let me know if u come across with something i could use to learn this thing, in the meantime i guess i would give udk a try to showcase my models. Thx again.