All comments most welcome!

Attachments

01queenusurpatorfull.jpg

02queenusurpatorred.jpg

03queenusurpatorabove.jpg

04queenusurpatorside.jpg

05queenusurpatorbelow.jpg

06queenusurpatornarrow.jpg

Nice Start. Her upper lip seems a bit masculine to me, otherwise your off to a great beginning. looking foward to seeing it complete. Ronboy

Many thanks for your kind words, Ronboy!
Now a question that is of paramount importance to me: you look forward to seeing her finished… what do you perceive as unfinished as is? It’s only a quick sketch obviously, but I don’t know where to go from here: more refinement in the jewellery or clothes? More skin definition?, more general polishing?

It would be of great help to me if you expendanded on your comment.
I know the jewels/clothes are just space holder right now… but by defining them more I could distract the viewer from the expression… or is the lack of definition in the said jewels an eye catcher and so a distraction??
Skin, expression… in what direction should I go? She’s old and mean and her skin shows that, so polishing the texture would kill some expresivity, I feel. But are the drooping bumps on her cheeks enough to show age and decrepitude? Shoulw I add regular winkles at the risk of overloading the surface?

Any comment on this will be VERY VERY useful to me. I’m a painter, I’ve been sclpting for a few weeks and what I need is input from experienced user so I can learn learn learn!

Many thanks!

Your right this is a fine piece as it is now, I thought since you welcomed criticism it might have meant you were not finished. When I no longer want to continue with my work there are a variety of reasons, eg. technical issues, boredom, or I just plain hate it. I never think its done, there’s always something that I might notice a week from now that I didn’t see before. But there comes a time when we must move on. Try experimenting with polypaint or lightcaps. It’s fun to mess with that. Good luck!

If you want to take this sketch further you can add more skin texture with alphas ,also define her lower eyelids, her jewelery is fine, I’m not sure what else I can say. Everyone has there own style so you have to decide when its done, unless you are working for an art director and a desired look has to be achieved. Art is never done and learning never ending, Cheers Ronboy

Many many thanks Ronboy! This helps a lot.

Cheers