Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Post non-beta image

In anticipation of the next Zbrush release, I thought I'd try to make an attempt with the tools available in the current release to make a character bust. Using the Cylinder3D tool along with textureMaster and the BumpViewer Material , found at this link:
    http://www2.zbrushcentral.com/upload...2116493ezd.zip

I proceeded to create the Skycastle inspired torso study. (a combination of his WETA troll, Rhino and triceratops-like head.)
    As you can see, not much detail was placed on the actual mesh but on the value scale image painted within TextureMaster used along with the BumpViewer Material.

The colorized version was brought into Photoshop out of weakness for the lasso selection tool but Zbrush can colorize with it's tools just as well.

jelee

Cool

GREAT to see you back Joe!

(And you definitely made your point about what is already possible, with a model and some painting! )

You don't need the next release....
    Bye
    Leo

Thumbs up

Fantastic work
    and technique

Cool

Very cool beast
    Pilou
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Nice work, and great use of tools!

Bravo! I have been thinking of doing something like that but I didnt want to find out that it wouldnt work...but this...what an achievement. Gonna go home and play with this technique tonight!

Aweosme!

Great work,

Would you mind explaining this technique in more detail?

thanks

wow, that's awesome, you don't need the next release

Bite your tongue!..lol
    I wouldn't go that far...I want million poly models!

id work on your textures color channel, your bumps are great as is the model but the colors are not working for it. its too even and plastic.
    Miguel Ortega
    http://www.monstersculptor.com
    Character Artist
    Digital Domain

Hey Michael, thanks for the Stonecutter greeting. Good to see a familiar name still in the crowd.
    Marciani and KingSalami, to not have the next version of zbrush would be a very sad thing.
    Thank you for the replies though...

I'll try to shed a little light on the process Troymcoy.

When you first load the BumpViewer Material, you'll notice at the bottom of the palette is a Material texture slot which appears to
    be white. I Usually change this to another color by opening the Texture palette and importing it in. Once you have imported the new color swatch in the texture palette you can return to the bottom of the Material palette and by clicking on the Material texture slot, you should see the new color square available.
    Now you can load your model from the Tool palette and place it in the workspace in edit mode. Get ready to launch TextureMaster but before you do, open the Color palette and make sure that you are starting off with a grey set at 128 or 127 in all three channels red, green and blue. To see if your model is indeed grey, open your Render palette and you will see it already in Preview Renderer.
    Click the Fast Renderer sphere, the second from the right, to turn off the influence of the material and see what your texture will
    look like that you are painting in TextureMaster. It may be helpful to toggle back in forth to see your work and it's effects on the model once you get painting.
    With TextureMaster loaded, Drop the model onto the workspace. There are really only four tools that I use for this.

1. HighlighterBrushII: This is the tool that supplies the additive and subtractive process to your model depending whether you are holding the Alt key down or not. Do not confuse the original Highlighterbrush for the HighlighterbrushII. They have very different results. The HighlighterBrush provides a much grainier result than it's sibling.

2. BlurBrush: This tool acts the way water or solvent affects a clay sculpture when brushed down. Basically a smoothing tool. You'll use it often.

3. Smudge: Good for pushing forms around.

4. SimpleBrush: Occasionally you will find you have painted your values all the way to their extremes of either black or white. You will see this in the material as the bump just suddenly plateaus and becomes flat. In this case, you'll need the simpleBrush to paint back the original grey value you began with or whatever value is best suited for returning the situation to a more agreeable state.

Now I should probably tell you that in the Draw palette, only the RGB Channel should be active when using the above tools. Make sure this is the case for the smudge tool if you use it because it's default is MRGB with ZADD, which you don't want.

When you are happy with your results Pick the model off the workspace. Chances are you will see some degradation of the texture when it gets picked up and this could be a result of anything from texture size to mesh spacing or both. You just have to experiment on your own but this was the basic process used. Also try moving the Color Bump slider in the Material palette for different variations.

Elfufu, I appreciate your assesment of the colorized version. It definitely could use a little more love.

I'll pay more attention to the colors next time.

thanks,

jelee

Cool

Bravo for the explanations
    Pilou
    Is beautiful that please without concept! ( Me and maybe also E Kant)
    Pilou's Galerie Pilou's Tips Tuts Page
    Cameyo's ZPlace Art Surfing Albums
    Dedicaces Perpetual Challenges
    French Pixologic Site

Hi Jelee Thanks for the post and also for share your technique¡¡
    Congratulations
    Andreseloy

Thanks alot for the explanations!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast