Default Digitaldecoy's ZSpace

Hello to you all!

My name is Daniel Lieske and would like to start this thread to show my ZBrush experiments. Originally I'm a 2D Artist and I have done quite a lot of digital painting in the last years. I use ZBrush since the 3.1 release and I'm really fascinated by this piece of software. Perhaps let's see what I have done in ZBrush so far:

I started humble, like everone I guess.

Speedmodelling_03.jpg

after the first tests and this head I started a goblin bust:

Goblinbust_Prepose_01.jpg

These first steps were quite within the confines of what I did know about conventional 3D modelling to this time (i have some Maya experience). Things became much more interesting when I encountered the Clay Brush!

Atlanter_02.jpg
    [Thanks to Ralf Stumpf for his great MatCap Material]

After that I decided to test my new skills on a bigger project. Here is my approach on the famous Alien monster:

Alien_Sculpt_01.jpg
    Alien_Sculpt_02.jpg
    Alien_Sculpt_03.jpg
    Alien_Sculpt_04.jpg

[Shader by Ralf Stumpf]

Alien_Sculpt_05.jpg

[Shader by Ralf Stumpf]

Alien_Sculpt_06.jpg

[Shader by Ralf Stumpf]

I also did a selfportrait. The first time that it came in handy that I have no hair!

ZBrush_Selfportrait.jpg

[Shader by Ralf Stumpf]

Ok, this was quite a load. Since I'm a 2D Artist I also did dome experiments in ZBrush using the 2.5D canvas. Here you see the Deco Brush in Action:

ZTrees_01.jpg
    ZTrees_02.jpg

These were the textures I used for the last image:

ZBrush_WoodTextures.jpg

Well, what shall I say - I'm quite taken away by this software and I'm looking forward to more experiments with this amazing tool. Your input is greatly appeciated and I hope we will have some fun together in the future!

Senior Member Follow User Gallery

Hi digitaldecoy

Great work by the way, I really like your sculpting! By the way the bronze and greyClay shaders by Ralf Stump are my favorite for presentation, seeing that you used them here also Zbrush is an a great and addictive program, so keep at it, I'm interested in seeing more great work from you in the future

digitaldecoy, very nice work, I like it all but especial the trees and grass they look fantastic, I am going to have to try that.

Beautiful busts, aliens and 2.5D work.

Your 2D digitals are magnum opuses. The Journey Begins entry character is iconic. Awesome to see an artist of your caliber using ZBrush as a means to 3D expression. Looking forward to seeing some animations and ZBrush sculpts rendered in Mental Ray.

Amazing first ZB works. Please post as much as your time allows (including more 2d preliminary sketches).

Member Follow User Gallery

Thanks for your warm welcome you three! Rest asured that I will put everything in here which is in any way related to ZBrush. If preliminary sketches are welcome I surely will add them to my postings.

Default Welcome..

DigitalDecoy,

Welcome to ZBC, good stuff!! Keep them coming and feel free to post any concept drawings definitely!! Will be watching for more of your works.

Sorry, no drawings today.

But did you know what you can do with ZBrush when you put a perspective plane on the 2.5D canvas? I'm really amazed, here are some test:

ZBrush_Depthpaint_01.jpg

I did remember that tools on the 2.5D canvas align to the surface normal of other tools. It struck my like lightning that you could use this functionality on a perspective plane. The only in 3D edited object above is the ground terrain, everything else is painted on the 2.5 canvas after the terrain was droped to it.

Another one:

ZBrush_Depthpaint_02.jpg

This time with color. The trees are made by snake hooking little point out of the terrain on the 2.5D canvas. All buildings and the holes are also painted in 2.5D

ZBrush_Depthpaint_03.jpg

Suddenly the fibre brush makes sense to me. Interesting thing: the rocks were all "painted" as cubes and then manipulated with the smudge brush to look smoother. All in 2.5D!

ZBrush_Depthpaint_04.jpg

A more sophisticated test. Terrain was modeled in edit mode and dropped in perspective. Trees and rocks were put into the scene on the 2.5D canvas and then rotated in place in edit mode. From then on everything was painting the 2.5D canvas. The roots of the trees are made with the snake hook in 2.5D. Done some compositing in Photoshop afterward.

I guess I bore the hell out of you with my clumsy test images here but I did not even know you could do something like that in ZBrush. I always saw the 3d sculptings and thought that's it.

I surely will use some of these techniques in terrain concept art. It's a very fast way to sketch the look and feel of complex landscapes and do lots of variations in a short time.

str13d3r
    Guest User Gallery

Your Landscapes are beautiful! Very interesting technique. Looking forward to see more!

Sorry that it took so long but here's some more stuff!

This one's from last christmas. Credits go to Ralf Stumpf for his Shader:

ZBrush_Santa.jpg

It was about time to create some own shaders, which I used one these two:

ZBrush_Alien_Head.jpg
    ZBrush_Ethno_Head.jpg

I guess I should do more posed stuff but on the other hand I'm still learning the tools...

Here's some bonus 2D images (I hope these are allowed...)

Lasainescape.jpg
    Wondermountain.jpg
    shaman.jpg

That's it for now. I hope the next update won't take too long.

Love your work, the 2.5 paintings are very inspiring.

Time for a little update!

Here's a small sketch of a mouth:

ZBrush_MouthStudy.jpg

And a little playing around with abstract shapes. In this one I used Richard Rosenman's 'Depth of Field Pro' plugin for photoshop:

ZBrush_Veigns.jpg

The plugin uses the depth channel information and you can interactively choose the focus point and stuff. It's a cool tool for ZBrushers.

And finally, here's a little sculpture I did on a basemesh which was provided by 'Artur':

ZBrush_Drache_Artur.jpg

Sculpting took 30 minutes and I recorded a little timelapse movie (6 minutes) of it. I uploaded it on youtube. Here's the link:

Artur's Dragon Baby

Wow! Great Work here!

WHOA! a 2D image!!! BAN him!! BAN him!!

lol

No actually we don't see enough of them here, certainly not of this quality. and Zbrush is an excellent program for them I think.

I hope we see more of you once you get the 'hang' of the tools. If you can do this as a beginner I want to see more of you when you are experienced

great work,

Bimm

very like the 2.5D images,nice works.

Really cool stuff you're doing here!

Inspiring and gives me good ideas.
    Threads: * - * -* - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * - * / Tuts: * - * - * - *

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast